This week I travelled with my colleagues to VMworld 2017 in Barcelona Spain. This was my first VMworld but luckily my colleagues helped me out with putting a schedule together. The days were absolutely great and well-organized thanks to my employer ITQ (special thanks to Francisco Perez van der Oord and Paul Geerlings).
This blog post is about my first VMworld with my personal highlights.
VMware vSphere 6.5 Host Resources Deep Dive
At the Rubrik stand a thousand copies were given away of the best book in stores now (personal opinion) “VMware vSphere 6.5 Host Resources Deep Dive“. At a specific time you had to wait in line to get a free copy of the book signed by Frank Denneman and Niels Hagoort. I was one of the lucky people who got a free copy with their signatures :).
At VMworld I attended a lot of sessions but my personal top three were the following:
- Delivering Hybrid Cloud Architectures for Your Customer with VMware Cloud on AWS – Adam Osterholt
- Replicating VMware VVols: A technical deep dive into VVol array based replication in vSphere 6.5 – Claudio Calisto, Nick Dyer
- vCenter Performance Deep Dive – Ravi Soundararajan
I also attended a non disclosure agreement (nda) session with Tom Corn the Vice President of Security Products at VMware about AppDefense.
Server and Storage Hardware (Dell EMC / HPE)
- At the HPE stand they showed the new HPE ProLiant gen 10 servers and their current storage portfolio 3PAR, Nimble. A beta version of the HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 was displayed and there was a iLO5 demo.
- The Dell EMC stand was one of the largest on VMworld. They displayed all their main products and were displaying demo’s.
I could blog all day about the announcements and sessions but luckily all information is available for everyone. You can find the sessions at the vendor websites or on YouTube. The company I work for has created a dedicated page to display all the VMworld news items.