Recently I was deploying the vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager (vRSLCM) at a customer. One of there requirement was that the appliance only could reach the internet with their internet proxy configured. The deployment was based on the latest version of the vRSLCM appliance version 1.2. The main use case for deploying this appliance at the customer was to reduce the time spend on Lifecycle Management. The appliance is able to maintain vRealize Automation (vRA), vRealize Business (vRB), vRealize Log Insight (vRLI) and vRealize Operations Manager (vROPS).
So for the proxy configuration, we need to identify which URLs are required. Luckily in the VMware Documentation, there is a list of URLs and ports which the vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager uses. So I configured the URLs but it appeared to be not working. The vRSLCM was complaining about the URL (https://my.vmware.com). So after analyzing the proxy logging, I could conclude that the URL list was not complete. Below this section, I display the difference between the official statement and what was required to get it working.
Proxy URLs – Official List:
This is the official URL list from the vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager (vRSLCM) v1.2 documentation:
|Ports||Port Number||Base URLs|
Proxy URLs – Unofficial List:
This is the list that was required to get vRSLCM working through the proxy, keep in mind there are a lot of different functionalities in the vRSLCM appliance and I was not using the entire set of functionalities. There might be even more URLs required…
Ports Port Number Base URLs
My VMware 443 https://apigw.vmware.com
Solutions Exchange 443 https://marketplace.vmware.com
Updates 443 https://vapp-updates.vmware.com
Compatibility 443 https://simservice.vmware.com
My VMware 443 https://my.vmware.com
vConnect 443 https://vconnect.vmware.com
Download location 443 https://download2.vmware.com
Download location 443 https://download3.vmware.com
Icons for marketplace 443 https://marketplace-download.vmware.com
In the steps below I explain the proxy configuration in the vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager web interface:
- Open the a web browser.
- Navigate to the vRSLCM URL (https://%FQDN%).
- Log in with an administrator account (admin@localhost).
- Navigate to the following page (Settings > My VMware).
- Toggle the Configure Proxy to enabled.
- Enter the following proxy information:
- Proxy Server: %FQDN% or %IP%
- Proxy Port: %Port Number%
- Proxy Username: %Username%
- Proxy Password: %Password%
- Click on the Submit button.
- Verify if the My VMware communication is working and the appliance is able to download the media.
- vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager (vRSLCM) requires ICMP communication with the internet proxy. When configuring a proxy in vRSLCM version 1.3 the configuration validation fails without allowing ICMP.
– 2018-07-16: Added additional proxy URLs for the vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager version 1.3.
– 2018-07-16: Added link for the vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager manual version 1.3.
– 2018-07-16: Added additional note about ICMP.